Remember all of those adorable Valentine’s Day presents you used to get as a kid? Picking out cards to give to everyone in the class was more interesting than carefully preparing dozens of Valentine’s Day projects and collecting handfuls of those little heart-shaped candies back then.
Many of us have forgotten how to write sincere Valentine’s Day messages as adults. After all, buying a Valentine’s Day gift for your SO, grabbing a generic card to go with it, signing your name, and calling it a day is much easier. Sending heartfelt Valentine’s Day messages to everyone who has made a difference in your life, on the other hand, can go a long way.
“Anyone you perceive to be part of your inner circle,” says Jodi RR Smith, creator of Mannersmith Etiquette Consulting. “There’s something so precious about giving out handwritten, emotional letters of love, whether you’re expressing adoration for a relationship or admiration for a friend.”
If you’re stuck on what to write in a Valentine’s Day card, Smith suggests reflecting on why this person is special to you. And dive deep: What about them makes your heart skip a beat? What do you value most about their friendship? Why is this person one of your favorites? When in doubt, share a favorite recollection, hilarious tale, or inside joke that draws you two together.
Check out the beautiful thoughts, funny jokes, and romantic quotations below for some ideas. Putting pen to paper is an excellent method to remind your partner (and the rest of your circle) how precious they are. A heartfelt Valentine’s Day letter is also a great keepsake they can preserve for years to come.
So maybe mushy isn’t your style. That’s okay—love doesn’t always have to be expressed in a serious way. And to prove it, we’ve got lots of ideas for funny Valentine’s Day messages for you.
- Valentine, guess what? Love your butt!
- Don’t look down here for the mushy stuff. That’s what the card was for!
- You’re like the thing to my other thing that goes with that first thing! (I’m not great with words, obviously.)
- Will you be wine? I love ya merlots.
- When should we start rosé-ing?
- Valentine’s Day with you beats my best ever! (For the record, that was in third grade when a kid gave us all full-size candy bars.)
- Somebunny loves you. Seriously. You’re very popular with rabbits.
- Wish you were here to Valenwhine with me. (Or you could write “Valentine,” depending on your mood.)
- It’s true, like for sure.
For Spouse or Partner
Looking for a little inspiration when it comes to what to write in a Valentine’s Day card to your wife? We’ve got that. What about a Valentine’s Day message for your husband? Yep, we have that, too. Want Valentine’s Day messages for your spouse or life partner? We’ve got you covered. These Valentine’s Day messages range from sweet to silly and everything in between, so you’re sure to find something that will make your favorite person smile.
- I like who I become when I’m with you.
- Thanks for being my better half.
- I’m so lucky to be the one loving you.
- Happy Valentine’s Day, Beautiful.
- Time goes by, but you’re just as gorgeous and exciting to me as the day we met.
- I’d be so dang lost without you.
- It’s cool to be married to your best friend.
- You’re the best, Babe.
- Love doing life with you.
- You’re my everything.
- I love all the adventures we have together.
- I get to wake up next to you each day. How cool is that??
- You’re the bright spot in my day, every day.
- I love being with you no matter what we’re doing.
- We’re so awesome together.
- Tonight is all ours. I can’t wait to celebrate with you.
- You make the world better.
- You have no idea how sexy you are.
- You take my breath away. Always.
- Has it really been  years? I’d do it all over in a heartbeat.
- I hope no one tells you, but you’re out of my league.
- I don’t deserve you. Thanks for being mine.
- Did you see where I put your valentine? Oh, wait…here it is.
- Still not sure how I convinced you to marry me, but so glad I did.
- Thanks for putting up with me. Love you!
- I picked the best guy ever to share my life with.
- I love you more than ever.
- Thanks for being my guy.
- Valentine’s Day and every day you make me so happy.
- We’ve shared a lot of Valentine’s Days, but it never gets boring loving you.
- You’re my cuddly, huggable rock.
- You keep adding reasons why I’m glad I married you.
- There’s no one I’d rather share a heart-shaped pizza with than you.
- From your TV buddy—me.
- I’m so glad I married my best friend.
- This is getting serious!
- There’s nothing more romantic than putting your dirty clothes in the hamper!
- Sweetness. Funniness. Hotness. Just HOW do you do it all?
- Every time I look in your eyes, I fall all over again.
- You make this life thing pretty awesome.
- God is good. I know because he gave me you to love.
- I couldn’t ask for a more wonderful husband than you.
- This will definitely be a kids-in-bed-early kind of night.
- Wishing the sweetest, happiest day to my forever Valentine.
- You and I are such an awesome us.
- I love coming home to you.
- You’re my love, my best friend, my forever Valentine.
- I’m so happy we’re a thing.
- My heart belongs to you, now and always.
- Team Us is a very unbeatable team.
- I’m so happy to be on Team Us.
- Loving you is so much fun.
- I would like all of your Valentine’s Days, please.
- We’re the best together, aren’t we? (Yeah, we are.)
- Thinking about you still makes my cheeks hurt from smiling so much.
- We’re the best couple I know.
- Here’s to more adventures!
- Wish you were here for me to spoil today.
- You’re my favorite part of every day.
- I just love you SO! MUCH! UGH.
- I couldn’t have picked a better person to give my heart to.
- Always thanking my lucky stars that you’re my person.
- Especially today, I hope you feel how much I love you and how grateful I am to have you in my life.
- My heart is all yours.
- Thanks for being you and for being mine.
For New Relationships or Dating
What do you write in a Valentine’s Day card when you’ve only been dating for a couple of weeks? Have no fear, our writers are here with tons of inspiration for what to write in a Valentine’s Day card for new relationships.
- Yay! We’re still dating!
- I love spending time with you.
- You bring out the better in me.
- Thanks for reminding me how much fun dating is.
- I’m so excited to be sharing our first Valentine’s Day together. I hope it’s the first of many…
- And they say dating is supposed to be tough—you make it seem easy to me.
- We’re not single today! Yay!
- We’re kind of new at this Valentine’s thing, but I just want you to know how exciting you are to me and what a good time I have whenever I’m with you.
- • I don’t know what’s next for us, but whatever it is, I can’t wait.
- • I love where this Us thing is going.
- • I’m excited for us.
- • We’ve got something really good here.
Irving is the Chief Editor at the Landscape Insight. He lives just outside of New York. His writings have also been featured in some very famous magazines. When he isn’t reading the source material for a piece or decompressing with a comfort horror movie, Irving is usually somewhere in his car. You can reach Irving at – email@example.com or on Our website Contact Us Page.