Video therapy offers a more convenient way to get mental health support. Find out how it can improve your mental well-being to start your journey to a happier, healthier you.
While there is no doubt about the benefits of in-person or face-to-face therapy, there are instances where it isn’t feasible for some people. If you cannot regularly commute or travel to a therapist’s office, video chat therapy is a viable option. It is also worth considering if you feel more at ease with having your sessions and talking to a mental health professional remotely from home.
But how does it fare to traditional therapy? What can video chat therapy be used for? Is it right for you? Continue reading as we dive deeper into online and video chat therapy via https://calmerry.com/video-chat-therapy/ and how it can promote healing or elevate your mental well-being.
As its name suggests, video chat therapy is a form of counseling delivered online, specifically via virtual video sessions. It generally works the same way as conventional therapy, except that you and your therapist are in two different locations and are communicating via video through a website or an app. Video therapy sessions can be done using mobile phones, tablets, tablets, or laptops.
Compared to other forms of online counseling such as phone or text therapy, video-based counseling still allows you to see your therapist, which can be beneficial in creating a strong therapeutic alliance. It also provides additional non-verbal insights (although not as nuanced as face-to-face therapy), which are unavailable through a phone session or text messaging.
Video chat therapy at Calmerry may be the right option for you if:
- There is a limited number of mental health providers from where you live.
- You have a busy schedule and are unable to attend face-to-face therapy sessions.
- You are dealing with or experiencing symptoms of social anxiety or depression that make it difficult to leave home.
- You have a disability or physical illness that makes travel challenging or impossible.
- You prefer online communication instead of going to a therapist’s office.
- You want to be able to get help and support from a licensed therapist.
- You’re looking for a more affordable therapy option.
- You prefer to have more control over your surroundings during sessions.
Yes. Research suggests that internet-delivered cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) can be an effective treatment for various issues, as well as an accessible and affordable alternative to conventional therapy. Here’s what the research/studies say about video-based therapy:
- A 2021 study – suggested that videoconferencing is an effective modality for therapy delivery in adults with mental health problems. Patient client ratings of the therapeutic alliance using video therapy were also similar to in-person therapy.
- A 2020 meta-analysis – found that in-person and video conferencing sessions for mental health were equally beneficial to patients. Some female patients also tend to respond more favorably to videoconferencing technologies than in-person.
- A 2019 study – indicated that couples undergoing online counseling through video conferencing allowed them to feel a greater sense of comfort and control. Couples also noted that they would forget that there was a screen between them during sessions while also feeling less judged, which enabled them to be more honest and vulnerable.
Video therapy at Calmerry is a good option for those who are interested in trying therapy in the video format and do not require inpatient care. It is also important to remember that video-based counseling and other forms of online therapy are not appropriate for emergencies.
This type of therapy, however, can help with a range of issues, including:
- Anxiety disorders
- Eating disorders
- Life changes (divorce or separation, job loss, moving)
- Low self-esteem
- Relationship problems
- Trauma or post-traumatic stress disorders
Other advantages of video therapy over face-to-face sessions include:
- Convenience/easy access – You can easily get mental health support by logging into a website or therapy app from the comfort of your own home or wherever you are. Many therapists also provide flexible scheduling options, so you can pick the time that suits your schedule.
- Lower cost – Unlike conventional therapy, online or video counseling is more affordable. There is also a range of subscription plans to choose from based on your budget. This can be helpful if you don’t have insurance or paying out of pocket.
- No travel time – As the sessions are held virtually, you no longer have to travel or commute to a therapist’s office. This can save you time, as well as eliminate the stress and anxiety associated with traffic, commuting, and going out. You also don’t need to take time off work or leave work early to get to your sessions on time.
- No waitlists – With Calmerry online or video therapy, you are less likely to end up on a waiting list. To get mental health support, you have to get a brief assessment, select a subscription plan, and get matched with a therapist in just a few hours.
While video therapy can be safe and effective for a range of mental health issues, it does come with disadvantages compared to conventional options. Some of its cons include:
- Tech issues related to poor or insufficient internet connection
- Not the effective choice for those seeking crisis support, dealing with severe mental illness, or needing medication management
- Some states don’t allow out-of-state mental health professionals to provide support to patients
- Some non-verbal cues could be missed, especially if video (and audio) are not set up properly
It is all about the work you put into it. This means trusting the process and attending your sessions regularly, and not just when it is convenient for you. Here are a few other tips on how to get the most out of online or video therapy.
- Be honest with your therapist.
- Know what you want to achieve from therapy and communicate them with your therapist.
- Be an active client by doing the homework your therapist gives you and trying out strategies in the real world.
- Don’t hesitate to switch therapists if it doesn’t feel right.
- Make sure that you have a strong Internet connection
- Limit or avoid distractions at home. Choose a quiet room or schedule your sessions at a time when it is the quietest.
Calmerry’s video chat therapy offers an affordable and convenient alternative to face-to-face therapy. It can provide mental health support and help you cope better with life challenges. All you need is a reliable internet connection and then you can share your thoughts and feelings with your therapist and start the journey toward healing.
Here are more reasons to choose Calmerry for video therapy:
- Mental health support from licensed and vetted therapists
- Quick client-counselor matching.
- Flexible subscription options that fit your budget
- Switch therapists for free
- Access to resources such as worksheets and tracking tools
- HIPAA-compliant and all personal information and therapy session data are encrypted.
If you finally decided to talk to a therapist but are struggling to access mental health support for whatever reason, try video therapy and see how it goes. This will allow you to work with a licensed mental health provider to reach your goals and start your journey toward a healthier, happier you.
Bob Andrews is a content editor for Landscape Insight, With a background in journalism, Bob brings a unique perspective to his role as he oversees the creation and publication of a wide range of content, including articles, podcasts, and videos. You can reach Bob at – [email protected] or by Our website Contact Us Page.